Shades of Life

Shades of Life
Black, White, Morally Grey

Monday, September 10, 2007

To teach or not to teach, that is the question...

3 months into my teaching, just dipping my toes into the lava pit.
A lot of thoughts come to my mind, spiral career change, coming out to do some business on my own after the bond. I've been thinking quite a bit on my future, where will I be in 10 years time, checking out opportunites, planning ahead yadah yadah blah blah...

Then it dawned upon me, am I actually running away from teaching? A calling which I chose to pursue as it held more meaning and meant more to others than myself? How are all those career options supposed to be more meaningful than being an engineer, which is what I was supposed to do.

Am I running away? For the first time I felt suffocated by the school adminstration. It's only 2 months into the job and I'm beginning to understand what many of my predecessors claimed,

"I love the teaching, but hate the 'whole package'"

For those who don't know, 'whole package' includes the following:

Last minute changes in workplan. (reasonable i think)
Extra curricular stuff. (Just a little from every subject = heaps load of work)
Endless meetings. (erm.. can i go mark now? do my admin?)
Colleagues who love whispering in hushed tones. (Stop the bitching!)
"Stretching you to the max potential" (Thinly veiled disguise for a volley of arrows...)

No wonder the attrition rate for educators is so high, go figure. Yeah, I'm whining, but hey, you don't know how "pang" cat poo is until you step in it, wanna try? *squish squish...*

No comments: