Shades of Life

Shades of Life
Black, White, Morally Grey

Sunday, October 14, 2007

That Fateful Morning...

That morning, my dad had something on. I think he had some church stuff to attend to, or was it his appointment at the hospital? I can't remember exactly, but after making a few calls to arrange for viewings in the morning, he handed over the Bingo Book to me. I was tasked to view the houses he had shortlisted with my mother.

With the luck of a a cursed bounty hunter, I set out with weary feet. Armed with a Pasir Ris map, the Bingo Book of bounty, my dads trusty old phone and last but not least, my trusty red pen (for awarding marks to my viewings!) I took it more as a walking exercise with my mum, taking the time to discuss our financial situation as well.

The first flat I saw had a balcony. Now, that is going to be the only positive aspect of my viewing. The homeowner was apparently unaware of the condition of his glorious abode and the work necessary to transform it into a worthy love nest of a newly wed young couple. Another astute observation by my mother - a single pillow and bolster on the bed of the master bedroom. Hmm... perhaps that explains the state of the unit I was viewing. 520K would mean 170K COV! Next!

The next viewing was similarly priced, at a premium of 480K, but this house is different. Beyond the inconspicous HDB door frame lay the most posh and tastefully decorated apartment I have ever set sight on with my own two eyes. The walkway into the flat was lined with black shiny pebbles gleaming like stars out of the pitch black night. Pieces of artwork surrounding the small cozy dining area raised on a wooden platform. The walls were not painted but decorated using wallpaper and floor tiles! Completing the living room was a equally luxurious sofa set and wall mounted TV. The kitchen look almost brand new, it was built more for entertaining than for cooking! I've saved the best for the last - the master bedroom. They had major reconstruction done on the master bedroom and the adjacent bedroom. The result was a masterpiece:

(stay tuned for ASCII artwork)

You have seaview from the elevated bed platform. Seaview from the study area. Seaview from the toilet if you so choose to brush your teeth with the blinds raised! Oh, I had forgotten to mention, the whole house uses roman blinds! Truly an eye opener. If not for my conscious efforts to keep my mouth closed, I would have appeared as a slack-jaw imbecile!

Okay! Enough of my blabbering, got to end this now. Once I start, I can't stop! Perhaps my childhood aspiration to write is resurfacing!

No comments: